NEWS FROM SPONSORING ORGANIZATIONS
University of Hawai`i National Foreign Language Resource Center (NFLRC)
The NFLRC is pleased to be a co-sponsor and on the organizing committee of the 2nd International Conference on Task-based Language Teaching to be held on September 20-22, 2007 in Honolulu, Hawai‘i. The theme of the 2007 conference is "TBLT: Putting Principles to Work." Plenary speakers will include Kris Van Den Branden (Katholieke Universiteit Lueven), Peter Robinson (Aoyama Gakuin University), Peter Skehan (Chinese University of Hong Kong), and Virginia Samuda (Lancaster University). We look forward to bringing together both researchers and educators from around the world to learn from one another’s innovations in task-based language teaching. For more information, visit the TBLT 2007 website.
NFLRC ADDS A THIRD ONLINE JOURNAL
Language Documentation & Conservation (LD&C) publishes its inaugural issue in June 2007. LD&C becomes the only journal, electronic or otherwise, exclusively dedicated to serving the needs of linguists and language activists engaged in the essential work of documenting the world's languages. While no reliable data exist concerning the level of such documentation, a plausible estimate is that fewer than 10% are well-documented, meaning that they have comprehensive grammars, extensive dictionaries, and abundant texts in a variety of genres and media. The remaining 90% are, to varying degrees, underdocumented, or, for all intents and purposes, undocumented. Moreover, the languages of the world are now faced with an extinction crisis, the magnitude of which may well prove to be very large. Consequently, there is an evident and urgent need to document the many under/undocumented languages of the world, and, where appropriate, to assist in their preservation.
OUR ONLINE JOURNALS SOLICIT SUBMISSIONS
Language Learning & Technology is a refereed online journal, jointly sponsored by the University of Hawai`i NFLRC and the Michigan State University Center for Language Education and Research (CLEAR). LLT focuses on issues related to technology and language education. For more information on submission guidelines, visit the LLT submissions page.
Language Documentation & Conservation is a fully refereed, open-access journal sponsored by NFLRC and published exclusively in electronic form by the University of Hawai‘i Press. LD&C publishes papers on all topics related to language documentation and conservation. For more information on submission guidelines, visit the LD&C submissions page.
Reading in a Foreign Language is a refereed online journal, jointly sponsored by the University of Hawai`i NFLRC and the Department of Second Language Studies. RFL serves as an excellent source for the latest developments in the field, both theoretical and pedagogic, including improving standards for foreign language reading. For more information on submission guidelines, , visit the RFL submissions page.
Michigan State University Center for Language Education And Research (CLEAR)
CLEAR is offering six opportunities for professional development this summer, on a wide variety of topics. Each workshop is three full days, and there are discounts for those attending multiple workshops.
Full descriptions, dates, pricing information, and workshop applications are available here.
Selected Free Products
CLEAR exhibits at local and national conferences year-round. We hope to see you at ACTFL, CALICO, MiWLA, NCOLCTL, Central States, and other conferences.
CLEAR News is a biyearly publication covering FL teaching techniques, research, and materials. Contact the CLEAR office to join the mailing list or check it out on the Web at http://clear.msu.edu/newsletter/. We welcome your submissions!
|The Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL)|
Upcoming activities include Webcast seminars -- a series of online hour-long seminars hosted by CREATE investigators and other prominent researchers in the field -- and a conference scheduled for October 1-2, 2007 in Chicago.
Visit CAL’s redesigned Web site to learn more about our projects, resources, and services.